Search This Blog

Thursday, May 15, 2014

DIY Red Hall Tree, Recycled Door, Added Bench Cabinet Hooks and Shelf

   My bright red hall tree! This was actually a fun project...it had it's share of failures and trial & error surprises, but overall fun. We started from scratch with a 6 panel door that I bought for about $40 with every intention of using it on my pantry...clearly never got around to it and later went with a different style of doors in my house. So it sat in the garage, sad and lonely, longing for purpose. Finally one day I came across a similar "door made into hall tree" on pinterest and knew what I must do. 
   I hope that you are not expecting some grandiose tutorial because we totally winged it. If you look closely you can see that the cabinet is crooked and the shelf is about 6 inches lower from the top because it's covering a hole in the door that nobody seems to know how it got there...
   When I started this project I really didn't even know what color I was going to paint it but once I decided on red, the rest just fell together. We went to Home Depot and bought all the wood to make the bench and the shelf, also all the hardware. I found the upholstery  fabric later (on sale!) and knew it must be made into a bench cushion and was so glad to see how well it matched the red. It wasn't until we were trying to build the cabinet that I decided to use some base board trim that I had to frame in a piece of the fabric. I was so proud of myself for having that idea because I am in love with how the whole thing came together and turned out!
   All in all, the project cost me roughly $100. Not too shabby considering what a difference it made to my entry way and the functionality it provides too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment