Tuesday, April 1, 2014
A Vision to Reupholster a Mid-Century Chair
An old chair and a vision.
Half an hour to debate over an insane amount of fabric choices, and then ultimately choose the red shag fabric that the original vision was based around anyway.
A staple gun that you may, or may not end up ditching half-way through because this fabric clearly has discipline issues and refuses to cooperate because it's slippery and rude.
A hammer and small brads in place of staple gun because the fabric must not win.
Also, in this particular case I needed a circular saw to cut the ends of the arms off where a certain very bad dog decided to eat the ends off. I was able to cut and sand the ends and then coat it with spray paint in order to pretend that never happened.
This is the part where it will benefit you to find an actual tutorial from someone who actually knows what they are doing. I totally winged it. The only reason it looks somewhat assembled is because I choose red shag fake fur. This, was no accident. I was hoping it would allow me to cover up the fact that I have never reupholstered anything in my life, and if you look closely, that becomes painfully clear. I basically bought a large piece of fabric and draped it over the chair and started cutting and stapling...and hammering. This is probably not the correct technical approach. BUT, in my defense, it is functional and very well staple/hammered together, I made a super awesome white shag pillow to match, not to mention the fact that it is now the most glorious chair in my house (I apologize to my other chairs).
So, just to wrap things up here, I think the only reason I'm posting this is because I've wanted to do this project for about 5 years now, I finally did it, it was not an epic failure and for that I am proud. Also, please don't judge my photoshop skills, or lack there of, that's another journey in itself.